trumpeter · educator · composer
I believe education is the best way to give back to my community and the tradition. I’m a dedicated educator who’s passionate about giving my students the tools they need for life-long music-making. I believe education works best when it helps students find their own interests and goals, while keeping them informed of the theory and tradition in which they operate. I teach students how to apply theory, listening, and composing to their music to help them learn to challenge, criticize, and better themselves and their communities. But you don’t have to take my word for it… here are some quotes from people I’ve taught and worked with:
“My time with Josh and his class has truly helped me progress as a musician and a person. Josh is an incredible educator and proven to be selfless, caring, and an overall awesome guy!” – BU jazz combo student
“You basically made the jazz program happen with Herculean singlehandedness. Thank you!” – Mike Barsano“
Josh is an inspiring teacher and I’m so glad for this awesome experience. I was able to not only learn so much about music from Josh but to have fun too! Thank you for a spectacular clinic and lesson.” – Nipomo High School student
• 4 years of teaching at the collegiate level (at Boston University), where I taught jazz combo, introduction to jazz improvisation, the BU Big Band, and coordinated the Jazz Ensemble Program.
• 1 year of experience teaching jazz history courses at the college level (also at Boston University).
• Experience as a high school clinician, giving clinics to big bands, wind ensembles, pop music ensembles, and pep bands at several high schools, including Buchanan High School, Nipomo High School, Hanford Marching Band, and Mashpee High School.
• 6 years of experience as a college marching band tech.
• over 12 years of experience teaching private lessons to all instrumentalists ages 5-21. My specialty as a private trumpet teacher is embouchure repair, practicing techniques, and breathing techniques. As a private jazz instructor, I specialize in jazz theory, jazz improvisation, and jazz history.
• I am a member of NAfME, KKPsi (honorary brother), and Music Performance and Education, Inc (MP&E).